Sunday, November 24, 2019

The End of the Trot 100

After almost 6 years of charts, I must sadly report that the Equestrian Trot 100 will be ending its run soon. There are several factors at play:

  • Overall activity has gone down. While the end of the show has briefly boosted numbers, they are already beginning to regress.
  • Incoming COPPA regulations appear to be hitting brony content quite hard with autotags. As of January 1, 2020, Made For Kids content will be unable to added to playlists, which is essential for my tracking system. In addition, other engagement options will be disabled and several channels are pulling or plan to pull their content by the date, meaning the Trot 100 will be rather unrepresentative of what's popular in any case.
  • I have more obligations now, namely a day job and a major hobby rhythm game project. Alone that wouldn't be enough, but with the rest, it's the straw breaking the camel's back.
As such, my intent is for the final chart to be the one dated January 4, 2020. After that chart is published, a final version of the all-time list will be published, adding in separately weighted points from 2019 and the stub of 2020.

This won't be the absolute end of everything related to the Trot 100. The CrownNote archives will be completed eventually, and the YouTube channel still has some videos to post (along with a correction for a few months at the beginning of the chart year), but this will be the end of new content. I thank everyone who's followed this chart in all of its avenues and I thank all of the musicians whose works made this chart possible throughout the years, with my best wishes to the ones still going to be able to survive the upcoming YouTube landscape.

1 comment:

  1. Bad luck for me, Rench Trotter. So, to quote Rench's inspiration Casey Kasem:
    "I'd like to share with you some advice I'm quoting from the great Casey Kasem that he had learned over the years, which can be applied to here to us in this great community of fans. Success doesn't happen in a vaccum. You are as good as the people you work with, and the people you work for. I've been lucky - I've worked for, and with, the very best!"

    ReplyDelete